San Jacinto Flag

Call for Price

Product Description

San Jacinto Flag

3′ x 5′ Nylon printed flag is a stocked item. Other sizes available, Made to order



San Jacinto Day in United States

San Jacinto Day is a day of state pride for Texans in the United States on April 21 each year. It commemorates the Battle of San Jacinto between the Texan army and Mexican forces, which took place on April 21, 1836. The battle was a turning point for Texas’ independence from Mexico.

Celebrate San Jacinto Day

The Texan flag, often called the Lone Star Flag, is flown near homes and other buildings across Texas. A re-enactment of the San Jacinto Battle takes place at the San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site on a Saturday close to April 21. It features costumes, canons and pyrotechnics, and is part of a festival that features family entertainment and highlights aspects of Texan history, culture and nature.

The Aggie Muster, at Texas A&M University in central Texas, is another important event that occurs on April 21 each year. The term “Aggie” refers to the school’s students, alumni and sports teams. The muster is a tradition that celebrates friendships and affiliations, while remembering the lives of Aggies who died.

Public life

San Jacinto used to be, but is no longer, a public holiday for all in Texas. However, it is a partial staffing holiday for state offices. Higher education institutions establish their own holiday schedules, as long as the total number of holidays does not exceed the number of holidays in a state agency.

Many private businesses remain open. Public transit services may be subject to change, so people wishing to use public transport should check with the relevant authorities beforehand.

About San Jacinto Day

Around 1820, the area that is now Texas was part of the newly independent country of Mexico. However, there was a strong push for an independent Republic of Texas so, in 1835, the Texas Declaration of Independence was drafted and a provisional government was formed. This movement was supported by a wave of volunteers from the United States. In 1836, Mexican president Santa Anna travelled to Texas to bring down this uprising. His campaign started successfully and the Mexican forces regained control of a number of areas.

Texan forces fought and won the Battle of San Jacinto on April 21, 1836, and captured General Santa Anna afterwards. This event led to negotiations for Texas to become fully independent from Mexico. The site of the battle is now known as the San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site, which is close to the Houston Ship Channel and the cities of La Porte and Baytown. The site features the San Jacinto Monument, which is 570 feet (or about 174 meters) high and the world’s tallest masonry tower.

Did you know?

The Battle of San Jacinto lasted for only 18 minutes. However, hundreds of Mexicans were killed, injured or captured. Nine Texan soldiers were killed and 26 were wounded.

The flag is believed to have been painted by artist James Henry Beard in late 1835 as a gift for the Newport Rifles, a 52-man company of Kentucky volunteers led by Captain Sidney Sherman. The rifle company was formed to help Texans battle the Mexican Army. This banner is thought to be the only Texas battle flag at the April 21, 1836, confrontation where the Republic of Texas army surprised Mexico’s General Santa Anna and won the War of Independence. The tattered silk flag was given to the State of Texas by Sherman descendants in 1896. Representative Anderson secured funds in 1931 to have it restored in 1932-33 by flag conservator Katherine F. Richey. In 1933, the flag was hung in the Texas House of Representatives Chamber. The off-white flag with yellow silk fringe on three sides was conserved again in 1989-1990 by renowned flag conservator Fonda Thomsen of Maryland. Ms. Thomsen’s analysis of the previous restoration treatment found that the flag was backed with a linen fabric and the silk fly attached to the linen with a four-sided stitch, forming a series of squares that resembled a netting. The painted silk fragments were arranged then attached first to a thick silk gauze, then to a heavier linen fabric with shellac. It appears that when the figure was being assembled, an attempt was made to fill in the missing areas of the skirt by painting a similar image on another piece of fabric with an oil-based medium, then cutting up the image and inserting pieces in the missing area. This must not have been considered to be successful because it appears to have been abandoned and the entire background and parts of the skirt over-painted with the oil based paints. The completed painting was placed in the center of the linen and attached with horizontal, parallel rows of couching stitch using a silk embroidery thread. This was either carried out before the paint underneath was dry or affected by the exhibit environment because the stitching threads were stuck to the fragments. The silk thread used for couching had been dyed to match but had faded and no longer matched the color of the painting underneath. The gauze holding the painting fragments was brittle and broke when touched. The stress produced by the sewing threads badly fractured the painting into smaller fragments. About 10% of the silk fly remained in 1989 before treatment, but it was in fragments. The silk was so degraded the fibers crumbled when touched. They were dark from having been coated with shellac. The remnants of seams in the flag fabric were not aligned in their original positions. There was a section of vertical seam under the painting and sections of horizontal seam in the painting. Mrs. Richey had removed the fringe from the silk fly and re-attached it to the perimeter of the linen. During the 1989-1990 conservation, it was discovered that the same image is painted on both sides of the flag. Prior to this most recent conservation treatment, the center female image faced to the right. During this conservation treatment, the stitching through the remaining painted silk fragments, shellac, new pieces of fabric painted to look like old fragments and non-archival framing were removed (all done in the 1930s) and the flag was turned over to the other identical side (figure facing left) for display because that side had not been over-painted. An elaborate and time-consuming method was designed to hold each flag fragment within a stabiltex netting by sewing the netting around each fragment. This made it possible to secure the pieces without putting holes in the fragments. In order to present a “complete” image, the conservator filled in the missing gaps with matching colored fabrics that meet archival standards. The flag was then archivally framed to the strictest possible standards.

Additional information

Weight 1 lbs